Friday, July 9, 2010

Venus Williams

Yes, "the" Venus Williams.

I got to play her 4 points yesterday.

I started my day empting my Jeep of 2 beach chairs, and ALL the stuff I usually have "at the ready" in my Jeep.

As I bent my knees to lay the chairs down.....both obliques cramped up on me.

There I was behind my Jeep unable to move with NO ONE around to help me.

My breathing was compromised and I started to sort out how I can get out of this position. I totally went into work the point to win mode.

It hurt so much.
I have had sprained ankles.
I have had muscle pulls...like when I played Jana Novotna in the finals of the Grass Nationals. I have had massive headaches and got through them all. So, this too, I would get through, I was thinking all in a nano second.

I don't know how long it took to get the chairs up and stored away then get back in the Jeep to get to Manhattan Bagel for coffee then to Camp. But I did it.

Turning to look back as I backed up the Jeep was so painful. And I did not want to cramp up again. The feeling was lingering. At any time I could.

I got to Camp at Philadelphia U knowing that I will not be at 100% but still able to teach/coach.

I emptied the Jeep so I can lug kids and bags down to Ashe Tennis Center for the kids to see Venus and be a part of the festivities.

Throughout the day I had a series of cramp alerts. Downing Pedialite and water and hoping that I will get to hit with Venus.

I sent a text to Lance Lee that my cramping will not allow my hit with her. He was not happy. Maybe Kristin Harris can step in for me. Kristin was on my court as a kid. Now, mother of 2 and coaching by my side, she can certainly step into my sneakers.

At lunch, I bought a small bottle of water and emptied a salt shaker into it, trying to make sea water. It has helped me with cramping in the past. All the kids think it's wierd but no matter. I have all kinds of "tricks" for survival.


John Green, who coaches with us was at lunch with us and suggested Aleve. John,I don't take drugs. Try it, he replies. John, I don't have Aleve on me. Let's get some from the school store.
I was forced to take 2 Aleve.


I have to say, in about an hour, my obliques relaxed and I was hitting in the Stadium with the kids, testing my body. IT WORKED.

Lance got a text from me that "I am ready for Venus"

The Center's stadiium was packed. The area around the court was packed in with kids from every tennis court in Philadelphia. The press was packed in. We were all waiting for her.

When Venus arrived she was surrounded by a sea of tennis kids. And she towered over them. So tall and graceful.
Wearing my fav color...red.

Press shots and intro by Kenny Holdsman our President and Lance our Director, the hitting got on the way.

Tess was first. She hit beautifully with her.

Nadiyah hit some sweet topspin shots to her.

Jas-Lynn was next. Jazzie wins practically every tournament she plays.

I stepped up to hit. Egging the crowd on, waving my arm and racket to get them to start screaming.....they did.

I played 4 points with her. Winning the first point, I was sure she would retaliate...I gave her the perfect opportunity to pass me...she did not. Damn. I was waiting to try to field her pass.

We played 2 more points and finished with a big hug at the net.

She was very nice at the net. Complimenting my cross court angles.

So very cool just to spar with her. Would love to spar with her on one of her training days.

Dre-Shawn banged that ball over to Venus. Nice hits.

Tauheed age 7, who is the next Federer played beautifully against her.

All the kids made us very proud.

My peers made me very proud.

Venus Williams ROCKED the house.

1 comment: