Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sears Cup:Day 1

What a beautiful, sunny day yesterday for tennis on grass.

Captain's meeting got on the way @ 930am. The usual....my players are better than your players so I should be seeded higher than you.


It rained Friday night...storm really and the grass was not ready for play untill 10am.


By the time we all got out there dragging our BIG back pack racket bags we did not start competing untill 11am.


New England seeded #1
Middle States seeded #2
Eastern seeded #3
Mid Atlantic seeded #4


Eastern plays Middle States (us)
New England plays Mid Atlantic


Gorgeous day.
I am in heaven.


Grass is my favorite surface though I play on it only 3 times a year. Sears Cup, the grass Nationals and my "play Hy on grass" event.


Anyone asking me to hit with them on grass? I am there. No questions asked. I am ready, willing and able.


My #1 player Mary Beth Williams just won the World's 35's Doubles Championship in Mexico City. And is #4 in the USA.


I am at #2. Won a few tournaments here and there. Only 6 time USTA Grass National Champion.


Vincenza Massaro is my #3 player. Vinny has played on the WTA tour and we have a Doubles National Championship. Win together.


Darcy Rabenda is my #4 player. Darc played at Palmer Academy, a premier tennis academy and on Temple University's Varsity team.


Monika Waniek is my #
5 player. Monika was the National champion of Poland and several wins in the USA.


Patty Kinghorn is my #6 player. Patty and her mom have 5 USTA National Mother-Daughter Championship wins. That's 5 gold balls.


We all want gold tennis balls. I have many, not only for grass wins but, hard court wins and hartru wins. And in singles and doubles.


If you have been reading my blog you know of my neck problem. Serving and overheads aggravate it. The almost 90% angle the head tilts to serve and smash can really hurt over time. Almost like a whip lash sort of feeling.


Well, today after 5 sets, no neck pain.


Middle States tied the singles 3-3 going into doubles.


Vin and Mary Beth lost.
Luca and Gabi won in no time flat.
Darcy and I lost the first set 6-3. Won the second 6-4 and blasted off to a 5-0 lead in the 3rd. Only to have 2 OVA's play out of their mind to come back to 5-5. Then 6-5. 6-6. Tiebreaker. Again they blast off to a 6-1 lead. We came back playing some spectacular doubles all the way to 6-4. They beat us 7-4.
And the opportunity to play for the cup today.


I cannot get upset.
I won my singles (beat an OVA) and lost doubles in 3 sets.

I had major surgery in 2007
I slowly recovered and got my competitive spirit and fitness back. Now I am finally competing at a higher intensity level than pre surgery.


I am back and cannot wait for more.


If you can come cheer, we start singles play @ 1030 am and Doubles play after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment